Tuesday 21 July 2009

Brick Lane Beigel Bake- Hot Salt Beef Beigel


Brick Lane Beigel Bake
159 Brick Lane
London E1 6SB
Phone: Hmm. 0171 729 0616 on the sign, 0207 729 0616 on the card. Tell me which works!

FINALLY got to try this after living in London for 5 years!

First of all, some necessary beigel/bagel clarification so you get your expectations right. What's on sale here is NOT a New York bagel- moist, malty and generally large, puffy and doughy- nor is it a Montreal version- sweet, thin with a large hole, crunchy and usually topped with seeds. Beigel Bake produces daily on-site the traditional London-style beigel- chewy, dense and tasty, with a coarser air-bubbled texture and a slightly harder bite.

3 ingredients is all- aforementioned beigel, lots of mustard (a bit too much in fact, I'll ask them to be less generous in future for the sake of my nasal passages) and a toppling stack of hot salt beef. But Oh My Heavens. The BEEF!

I present to you, huge succulent hulks of ultra moist melt-in-your-mouth perfectly fatty-but-not-greasy deliciously tender mouthwateringly salty juicy mmm mmm yum ooooh woah...
All for £3.30. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in this little kosher East End institution. So good I have crazy Malaysian friends who buy slabs of the meat by the kilo to take home!
70p slab of cheesecake (sorry I took a bit before I remembered to photograph it)- yum!

The smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel is excellent too. Maybe next time- tonight it's all about the BEEF.

3 comments:

  1. Beigel Bake is amazing - I go there at least once a week! I can confirm the smoked salmon and cream cheese is amazing, and at £1.50 an absolute steal. They also do toasting free of charge! The cheesecake is an absolute beaut, and only 60p! I love Beigel Bake!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe glad to hear it, will definitely be back!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been there sometimes, the bread it's delicious you can even eat it by itself with coffee it's WOW you can describe it, and it's a nice place.

    ReplyDelete